- Manuela Mischke-Reeds
- 12 Hours 6 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Nov 29, 2018
Our minds are inescapably connected to our bodies—and treating trauma separate from your clients’ psychophysical experiences can leave a vital aspect of their suffering unaddressed, negatively impacting outcomes.
Mounting evidence tells us that Somatic Psychotherapy may be the future of successfully healing the entire person in the treatment of trauma and stress disorders.
This groundbreaking recording is your go-to resource for incorporating somatic techniques into your daily clinical practice. Learn when and how to apply somatic psychotherapy approaches with tips and tools that will allow you to read the body in distress and assess your clients’ readiness to apply somatic techniques. Detailed guidance on using safe and highly-effective somatic skills will enable you to confidently work with trauma in the body and help your clients deal with deep emotional processes without overwhelming them.
Walk away from this workshop with:
- Targeted somatic interventions for trauma, stress and PTSD
- Steps to incorporate the body into your current therapeutic approach
- Starting guidelines, safety concerns and keys to success
Discover how you can take trauma treatment to the next level with somatic tools and techniques to treat the whole client – body and mind!
|Manual – 2-Day Trauma Course: Somatic Psychotherapy Skills to Bring the Body into Trauma Treatment (3.9 MB)||53 Pages||Available after Purchase|
The Essentials of Trauma, Stress, PTSD and Complex PTSD
- Differentiate acute stress, PSTD and complex PTSD
- DSM-5® – PSTD overview
- Stress-trauma continuum
- Symptoms and cues of stress and trauma
- Assess for dissociation
Somatic Perspective of Trauma and Stress Symptoms
- What is soma?
- Polyvagal theory application
- Arousal theory and emotional dysregualation
Somatic Psychotherapy Fundamentals for Working with Trauma in the Body
- Safety guidelines
- Assess for readiness to apply somatic tools
- Therapeutic attitude when working with the body
- Techniques for reading distress in the body
- Tools to track the body and trauma cues
Evidence-Based Therapeutic Approaches That Work with the Body
- Somatic experiencing
- Sensorimotor psychotherapy
- Journal writing with the body in mind
The Somatic Psychotherapy Toolbox: Interventions for Enhanced Effectiveness in Trauma Treatment
- Mindfulness and Body Techniques
- Self-regulate by suspending the moment
- Open the body to deep relaxation
- Build trust with simple earth mindfulness
- Read the Body and Teach Body Awareness
- Body awareness inventory
- Identify body themes
- Filters of perception and biases
- Presence, Perception and Sensations
- Dual awareness for moments of chaos
- Sensing space for emotional and physical pain
- Movement, Posture and Gesture Interventions
- Movement, play and beliefs to explore body boundaries
- Grounding through the spine
- Somatic strength posture
- Boundary Setting Skills
- Extending physical boundaries
- Wrap yourself into your own space
- Boundary violation – redrawing the territory
- Breath Awareness and Techniques
- The truth about deep breathing
- Round-wave breath
- Deflate anxiety
- Lunar breath – diffuse tension
- Working with Sound, Voice and Safe Touch
- Sounding into the body
- Corridor of sound
- When to use safe touch
Vicarious Trauma: What Clinicians Need to Know
- Grounding during difficult session
- Working with trauma activation states
- Burnout and vicarious trauma help
- Somatic techniques to stay grounded
- Common therapists’ triggers
Put It to Practice: Demonstrations of Somatic Therapy Skills
Manuela Mischke-Reeds, MA, LMFT, is a licensed somatic psychotherapist, international teacher and speaker, author and meditation teacher. She co-directs and teaches at the Hakomi Institute of California and is the developer of “From Trauma to Dharma”, a somatic trauma training for professionals. Manuela is the author of Somatic Psychotherapy Toolbox (PESI, 2018), 8 Keys to Practicing Mindfulness (W.W. Norton, 2015) and was a contributor to Hakomi Mindfulness-Centered Somatic Psychotherapy.
Manuela brings together 25 years of in-depth clinical practice and teaching in somatic trauma therapies, Hakomi psychotherapy, attachment and infant mental health work, Buddhist meditation practices and movement therapies. Her approach to working with trauma is an inside out approach that utilizes the depth of the body’s knowledge. Her unique teaching gift is inspiring how we live our lives from the reverence and awareness of interconnection.
Financial: Manuela Mischke-Reeds is a co-director and teacher with Hakomi Institute of California. She maintains a private practice and receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Manuela Mischke-Reeds is a member of the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists.